But, this has stirred up a hornet's nest in Kerala politics. The Chief Minister of Kerala Oommen Chandy on Saturday sought an explanation from the minister.
Pradesh Congress Committee president Ramesh Chennithala, Union overseas minister Vayalar Ravi and Muslim League (second biggest partner in the ruling United Democratic Front) also criticised the minister's meeting with the Gujarat chief minister.
The Opposition and his detractors within the UDF have pounced on the Labour Minister for what is widely being described as an act of indiscretion. Mr.John, who was initially upbeat about the meeting, has come out with the admission that he should not have met Mr.Modi.
KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala has said that the Congress is against the development model of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Union Minister Vayalar Ravi said that on development issues, Gujarat should follow Kerala. Minister of State for Civil Aviation K.C.Venugopal has expressed resentment at John’s meeting with Modi.
All this reaction raises few questions, which the "so-called-secular" Congress leaders must answer.
1. How can a sitting minister be questioned for meeting a Chief Minister of another state? Does our ministers need permission to meet the Chief Minister and any other Ministers from other states?
2. When Rehman Malik of Pakistan visited India, many of our senior ministers queued up to meet him. When Pak PM Asif Ali Zardari visited India, the Prime Minister of India hosted a lunch in his honour. When, these ministers don't need permission to meet a minister from other country, why do they need special permission to meet a Chief Minister from our own country?
3. Pakistan has killed many of our soldiers and its leaders openly proclaim that they are ready to wage a 1000 year war with India. Even then, the ministers from Pakistan are given red-carpet welcome and none of these "so-called-secular" Congress leaders take offence for that! Why?
4. The Kerala unit of Congress has tied up with Muslim League to rule the state. Do they consider Muslim League as a "Secular Party"?
5. Kerala ministers have met the accused in the Bangalore serial blasts case accused Madani and they don't have any objection to that! Why?
6. The Chief Minister of Kerala asks Karnataka government to take care of Madani, even after knowing that he is an accused of serious terrorist attack. None of the Congress leaders see anything wrong with that! Why?
Narendra Modi is visiting Kerala on April 24 and during this visit he will goto the Sivagiri Mutt, which is an important place for the Ezhava community of the State. This mutt is known for social service targeted towards the cause of social equality and creating a society that rises above differences of caste or creed. Modi's visit to Kerala has already been hailed by the Nair Service Society and the Shree Narayana Dharma Paripalana, who are increasingly getting disappointed with the appeasement politics of the UDF.